Tuesday, April 27, 2010

In My Opinion

So here is my post for the "contextual" part of the game. Trying to answer the question: what was happening during or before the time the game was being made/developed that would have inspired the Fallout 3 we all know.

For me, it's very hard to say. I think that this game would have been inspired by a mixture of things and not just one tremendous event. Since this is an American made game (Bethesda Softworks is currently located in Maryland, and Obsidian Entertainment an American game developer) An "event", if you will, that comes to mind is the military involvement in the middle east. And there's always the unforgettable event of 9/11. Even depending on the individual's age involved in the game making process could have been effected by the events of the Cold War and the Persian Gulf War, to name a few.

But more abstractly, I think this game was inspired by the "what if's" when it comes to war. Like what if there is a breakdown in diplomacy and as one thing leads to another, the end results in a nuclear bomb going off? What if a large part of the human population was affect by this?

Yeah, I'm sorry that first question was a little far fetched and I'm sure that its some kind of logical fallacy. Hopefully you catch my drift.

But Fallout 3 gives the player the opportunity to see their idea of the destruction of a cataclysmic event and how life might be. Answering if the individual has what it takes to survive and even possibly thrive in such conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment